Exercise Referral Scheme
The Exercise Referral Scheme is a programme for adults (16+) with health conditions, who could benefit from increased physical activity. It is a partnership between Public Health, Leicester-Shire and Rutland Sport, local authorities, GP practices and other healthcare professionals. It offers an opportunity for these individuals to exercise in a safe, supervised and structured environment.
One in three people in the UK are currently living with a long-term condition. Long-term conditions are now the most common cause of death in industrialised and developing countries. Physical activity can play a significant role in the treatment and management of long-term conditions, given the prevalence of these conditions in society today.
The scheme allows participants to:
- Get a reduced rate on many activities across the county
- Get a reduced rate on Catmose Sport Centre gym membership
- Take part in exercise at a convenient venue in the local community
- Exercise under the guidance of qualified exercise referral professionals
- Follow various routes to carry on exercising after completing the scheme to ensure long term fitness beyond the scheme, e.g. walking football, mainstream classes, bowls, Walking for Health and nordic walking
What Does the Scheme Involve?
- Personalised Pathway: You will meet with the district Exercise Referral Coordinator to discuss your preferences and the 'what's' 'where's' and 'when's' that will kick-start your journey towards your personal goals.
- Quality Exercise Professionals and Expert Advice: Our friendly and encouraging instructors will guide you throughout your chosen route, whether it's a personalised training programme or advice on the best activities for you. We will make sure you're on the right track and enjoying it too.
- On-going Reviews: We will regularly touch base to monitor progress and see if there is anything more we can do for you.
- Activity Logs: You will be asked to keep a weekly diary which will log daily activity. This will be used by instructors to monitor the progress of each referral throughout the programme, with the use of a pre starter questionnaire and progress questionnaires.
You can choose to take part in either a gym or class-based programme or both and all the way through your journey you will be encouraged and shown ways to maintain long-term fitness and activities.
We currently have four sites taking part in the scheme:
- Catmose Sports Centre (Oakham)
- Inspire2tri (Manton)
- Uppingham School Sports Centre (Uppingham)
- Active Rutland Hub (Ashwell)
If you fit any of the criteria below and live in the county borders of Rutland, please contact a healthcare professional (e.g. doctor, dietician or physiotherapist) to discuss your eligibility to be referred onto the scheme:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Diabetes (type 1 and 2)
- Heart conditions
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Osteoarthritis / rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteoporosis / osteopenia
- Physical disability
- Pre / post natal
- Stress / mild anxiety / depression
If they agree that this scheme will be beneficial for you, they will refer you and start you on your journey.
For further information on Cardiac Rehabilitation, Falls Prevention, Active Rehabilitation and Lower Back Pilates please click below:
The Exercise Referral Scheme also includes a Heart Smart Cardiac Rehab Scheme. This is targeted at people who are recovering from heart problems or heart surgery. The aim is to enable individuals to achieve and maintain better health and lifestyle by promoting and supporting individuals to engage in an exercise programme which will assist them in their daily lives.
Participants are offered safe and effective exercise:
- Under the guidance of a qualified B.A.C.P.R (British Association of Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation) exercise professional
- At a reduced cost (£4.50 per session)
- Tuesdays 1-2.30pm at Catmose Sports Centre, Oakham
- Wednesdays 1.30-2pm at Inspire2tri, Manton
Exercise Referral Coordinator
- 01572 758200